This internment camp was the largest in France. Between 1939 and 1945, more than 60,000 people were interned there: Spanish Republican refugees, then, at the time of the German victory in June 1940, German and Austrian “stateless persons” and French “politicians”, Communist Party militants, foreign Jews, interned under the Vichy anti-Semitic laws, and Gypsies.
On the spot, big-screen film and interactive terminal.
This installation includes :
- a reception building (parking, shelter, WC, interactive terminal, permanent exhibition).
- a 400 m long memory trail leading to the camp cemetery and its 1072 tombs. 5 explanatory lecterns. Visit: half an hour.
- a 1 km long historical trail, leading to the actual site of the internment, passing by a barrack reconstructed identically. 23 explanatory lecterns. Visit: 1 hour.