Jurançon is a white wine from southwestern France. Its vineyard is located in Béarn, on a well delimited territory, in a small part of the department of Pyrénées-Atlantiques, implanted on the pre-Pyrenean hills between the towns of Oloron-Sainte-Marie and Pau and the two gaves of the same name.
The same area produces two denominations of white wines, a dry one called jurançon sec and a sweet one, just named jurançon without any particular mention, recognized in 1936 for the sweet one and in 1975 for the dry one. The vineyard covers an area of nearly 1,000 hectares, it is planted on clayey sandstone in the south; in the north, it is powdered, solidified detritic rocks, covered with pebbles and gravel torn from the mountains and deposited by the gave de Pau.
It honored the table of king Henri IV in the 16th century; however, it almost disappeared and did not regain its luster until the second half of the 20th century.